Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Talking About: Easton Corbin's New Single, "A Girl Like You"

So the early stages of this blog are an interesting time for me. After all, this is the time where I talk about artists for the first time and really share my feelings on them as a whole. For Easton Corbin, I'm in the same boat as many people are.

Easton started off strong with his debut album in 2010, and his follow-up wasn't necessarily bad either. Both were laced some very enjoyable, albeit non-groundbreaking neo-traditional country music. His last album, 2015's About To Get Real failed to win me over due to its very vanilla production overall as well as the embrace of bro-country lyricism. It's not even that I don't like certain brands of bro-country, it just didn't suit Easton at all.

His new single, "A Girl Like You" is more or less what we all expect from Corbin at this point - a safe, enjoyable song. A lot of people will criticize the back beat that accompanies this, and that's fair. It does sound jarring at first, but personally I think it blends in nicely as the song progresses.

Where I'm not quite as sold is in the lyrics. Look, I think the overall foundation is solid - poke fun at the way women are portrayed on country radio and show how your woman is different from all the others. There is a problem however. The only things that supposedly makes this girl any different are based on what she does and what actions she preforms rather than who she is as a person. It comes off as a little hypocritical honestly.

And I know what you may think, "well it's a single meant to relaunch Easton as an artist", and that's fair. I definitely see this being a big rebound hit for Corbin after his last few singles floundered. Also, this isn't bad, I like it for what it is, but with that said, I really do hope we get something deeper from Easton on his new album. Enjoyable only lasts so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment